It goes without saying that a healthy pond environment and clean water positively impacts aquaculture health and delivers a rich yield to farmers. There are plenty of fish species and other aquatic life present in waterbodies and each of them react differently to different types of pathogens and impurities in water.
Now when there is a presence of industries and urbanisation near these water bodies, the water quality in the vicinity is bound to be adversely impacted by the effluents released by them. These effluents contain dangerous pathogens, which can lead to severe disease outbreaks in aquaculture farms/ponds and cause huge losses.
There is a serious need for effective water disinfection solutions which can eradicate all toxic pathogens in the water without adversely affecting the health of the fish.
This is where chlorine dioxide comes into the picture. It can be used for biological load control and help reduce the impact of effluent water from process facilities. Also, it is highly effective compared to traditional chlorine/hypochlorite which is notorious for forming trihalomethanes (THMs), halo-acetic acids (HAAs), chloroform, chlorophenols, and other chlorination reaction products generated during interactions with organics.
How does Chlorine Dioxide boost fish/shrimp production:
- As a selective oxidant, chlorine dioxide reacts with organic substances and helps to remove pathogens from water thereby making it a preferred environment for fish to grow and breed in. The fish breeding in such clear waters turns out to be high in nutrients offering myriad health benefits.
- If proper concentrations of the compound are mentioned, then the bacterial load in water gets reduced without impacting the aquaculture and biology of water. It is recommended to dose only the concentrations suggested by your Chlorine Dioxide supplier.
- The best part of using chlorine dioxide is the limited dosage/quantity needed to eliminate bacteria and other pathogens. For instance, dosing the compound at 0.02 to 0.5 PPM in 1000 liters can help treat around 10 million gallons of water. This is arguably the least end-user cost of the chemical compound per gallon.
Chlorine Dioxide can also be used for the following applications:
- Cleaning of fishing boats and other equipment
- To disinfect transport water while live fish transportation
- For dipping de-scaled and gutted fish/shrimp
- In spray/dipping fish, shrimp and prawns
- Ice manufacture
- For disinfection of display cabinets
In conclusion, Chlorine dioxide has multifarious applications in the aquaculture, especially in the shrimp industry. India being one of the world’s largest producers and exporters of shrimp and other aquacultural products has a huge need for such effective disinfection technologies to build on the growing momentum of this industry.
We at Pure Water Enterprises are here to help aquaculture farmers grow their business exponentially and outgrow competitors in this rapidly evolving industry.
Get in touch with us at email@example.com, to know more about our Chlorine Dioxide offerings for improving pond health and fulfilling your farms true potential.